Fire damage restoration is a process that begins as soon as the property is deemed safe by the appropriate authorities. Smoke is an acidic byproduct of fire capable of corroding and staining surfaces such as walls and your valuable contents. In some cases the steps taken to stop the inferno can cause more damage than the actual fire. The restoration process typically deals with heat, smoke and water damage.
At Sasser Companies, our restoration staff have the experience and equipment to restore your belongings to pre-loss condition. Here are a few things you should NOT do following a fire loss.
- Stay away from electrical devices like appliances, stereos or TVs. Soot is very acidic and can cause your electronics to short out if you turn them on after a fire loss.
- Don’t wipe your walls, wood trim and furniture or any other porous surface.
- Don’t sit on or move upholstered furniture. Moving items around or handling them can make the situation worse. Let our trained staff handle the dirty work.
- Don’t consume any food products, including canned items. Whether it was exposed to the extreme heat of the fire or not, your health is much more important.
- Don’t turn on home systems like the furnace or HVAC. This will cause the soot to spread rapidly throughout the house.
Please call us for more information on restoring your home or contents.